Saturday, November 14, 2009

Organic Midwives

We had our first "class" for baby this week. It gave us a little information about nurse midwives and about how I should be taking care of myself & baby.

I still like the idea of going with a nurse midwife to deliver our baby, but we both agreed that nurse midwives seem to be a little over the top with somethings. For example, I am all about trying to eat healthy, but the nurse midwife giving the class (who is also the nurse midwife for our first pre-natal appointment next week) was all into buying everything organic. I guess it would be nice, if everyone could afford it, but there's no way. She also said not to drink anything out of plastic. I understand wanting to avoid the BPA, but there's no way we can purchase everything in metal containers or paper cartons. I will stick with my BPA-free Nalagene and keep buying the products I am buying.

She also wanted us to throw out all our cleaning chemicals and use nothing but vinegar & citrus oils (or something). Now, I will stay away from them (Adam cleans the bathrooms anyway, plus I really do hate the smell), but I'm not about to throw them all out and have my house smell like we were dying Easter eggs all the time.

I'm not trying to rag on nurse midwives. After all, we are still going with nurse midwives for this pregnancy (and probably any others we have in the future). They want mother and baby to be as healthy as they can be, but they also understand that we can't make all these changes to our life (and quite frankly, many people can't afford some of them). They're all good suggestions, I guess, but put them all together, and it's a little over the top for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment