Monday, November 30, 2009

A Sneak-Peak at Our Baby!

I had our first ultrasound today! Adam wasn't able to come, because they only schedule them before 12:30pm, and he has school. However, my mother was thrilled to come along.

We were at the appointment 5 minutes early, just as they asked, but they were a half hour late calling us in to be seen. We first met with a genetic counselor, who went through any and all health-related problems in our families. Our main concern was club feet, as my grandpa has one, and my cousin has two. But she went through everything, including (let's see if I can get this right, because mom was actually the one who explained it) two of my mom's cousins who each had a child with a heart defect. She wasn't too worried about it though, because it seemed to be pretty far removed from me (and baby).

They sent us back out to the waiting room to wait for the ultrasound tech to be ready for us. Then Krista (I found out her name later) brought us back into the ultrasound room and put warm jelly on my tummy (my mom was surprised it was warm... I guess back in the day they didn't have the technology to warm it up or something!) Then she moved her little device around and found baby right away, but wanted to check around to make sure he didn't have any siblings in there. Then we could see baby! She measured him (and I'll call baby him, because I think it's a boy, but we don't know for sure yet) from crown to rump and told us that I was actually 15 weeks 2 days pregnant, not 13 weeks 6 days, moving my due date up to May 22 (the day of Katie & Derek's wedding!). She wasn't able to do the first trimester screening (that I was actually there for), since I was past 13 weeks 6 days. Then she moved around to find 5 little fingers and two little legs with little feet and took lots of pictures.

Baby's head & spine (on the screen you could see his little ribs!)
Baby's butt & little legs
Our baby, the alien (his head on the right & tummy on the left)
Baby's profile (the ultrasound tech said he was giving me kisses)
Baby's little foot
Baby's hand, arm, ribs, and head

No comments:

Post a Comment