Monday, February 22, 2010

A New Nice Doctor!

When I got to the Woodbury clinic, Adam was there waiting for me, and Wendy, the receptionist knew who I was and had my arm band and sticker (for the pee cups) ready for me. Then I sat down and waited to be called in. I had remembered three questions that I had wanted to ask them when I was in the car. Of course by the time I sat down and started to write them down I could only remember two. Soon a nurse that I didn't recognize the called out "Sarah" and another girl started to stand up. Then of course I had to ask which one, to which they replied "not Sarah Gibson" (the other one's last name they tried pronouncing, but I think they butchered it by the look on her face).

Soon a familiar face of the ultrasound technician we had at our very first appointment called us back. This time I looked at her name tag and wrote down her name. Krista. She said that she was going to be doing a limited ultrasound (like we've been having), so they were just checking for signs of heart failure and her amniotic fluid levels. (All checked out good.) Then said that Dr. Calvin would be seeing us today. I inquired about Dr. Ledella, since that was who I had made the appointment with. She said that they had switched shifts between Abbott and the Woodbury office, but that he normally works out there, and could possibly be delivering our baby. She told us that he was a very nice doctor and when she delivered through MN Perinatal, that he was once of the doctors she had liked. She then went and got a picture list of all the doctors and highlighted all the ones that work out at Abbott, and told us the ones that she really liked, and mentioned one that she wasn't particularly fond of.

She then took us over to one of the OB rooms for my OB check up. The nurse (who we've had before, but of course I didn't get her name... she has long curly hair - Nancy -) asked me the usual list of questions, then asked if I had any questions or concerns. I told her that I had been having some nerve pain in my right leg/ back occasionally. She said it sounded like sciatica, and said that sometimes the baby is in a position where she is putting pressure on my sciatic nerve. I figured it was probably that nerve, after all the stuff my mom has gone through with her back. She said that if it was really bad that they could do something about it, but it hasn't bothered me that much. Then we talked about having to deliver at Abbott, and she suggested that we start having our appointments over there about 32-34 weeks along so that we can start getting to know the doctors over there that might be delivering our baby. So she said she would start the paperwork to get us transferred over there later.

Soon after Dr. Calvin came in. He said all looked the same with baby (no new news is still good news!). Then I asked about delivering her normally, instead of a c-section. I told him how her cardiologist said he didn't see a problem with it at this point, but that most OB's don't like to because they can't monitor her for fetal distress (she already has that heart rhythm). He seemed to be okay with it. He said if we wanted to try that, then he would support us in making that possible. That made me very happy. So the plan (at this point, but who knows how many more twists & turns this road will take) is to deliver her normally when she's ready. But of course, if things change or she takes a turn for the worse, I still understand that Dr. Gremmels may want to get her out via c-section so he can fix her heart.

Giving us the "thumbs up"
"I'm all good in here, mom!"

If you tip your head to the right, you can kind of see her face looking right at you. Her chin is the little knobby on the left and the roundish slit on the top middle is her eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment