Monday, February 8, 2010

No New News is Good News!

Four days after our ultrasound with the cardiologist, we had another ultrasound. Adam and I met in Woodbury for both the ultrasound to check her amniotic fluid levels, her heart rate, and to check my glucose. Before we started the ultrasound, I asked the technician - Karen - if I could drink the stuff for the glucose test before the ultrasound, so that we wouldn't have to wait as long after. The unflavored sugar water wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Everyone I had talked to said that it was nasty, but the nurse said it tasted kind of like flat Sprite, and she was right. It definitely wasn't good, but it wasn't horrible either.

Her pretty little face!
Her umbilical cord was in front of her face,
but she cropped it out as best she could.

Folding her little legs just like a lady!
I really need to get better at remembering some of the people's names that work with us, but we had the same ultrasound technician that we had at the last appointment with Danilenko ("scary doctor"). I think I said at that point that she wasn't good at getting pictures, but this time she was a lot better with regular ultrasound pictures, and she even had time to do some 3D's! I'm sure a lot of it has to do with if baby cooperates or not. And today, she did alright, though she definitely likes to cuddle into my uterus (must take after her mommy with liking to cuddle!) I think she might have actually been sleeping for once at this ultrasound, because she didn't move around all over the place. After the tech got one 3D picture of her face, she turned and cuddled her entire face into my uterus though, so we only got one picture of her face. But we got 3D pictures of her legs and her spine too. The tech said she wasn't very good at 3D's, but I told her that she can practice on us anytime she likes!

After she got all her measurements, and took some 3D pictures, she went out to let Dr. Ledella know that we were ready to be seen by her. She came in and said that nothing really has changed since the last ultrasound (4 days ago...). She still has two different heart rates, no extra fluid in her body, and the right amount of amniotic fluid.

Then she sent us to another room to wait the last 20 minutes to my blood draw for the glucose test. I asked them to call with the results either way tomorrow, as I have been kind of nervous for this test. Diabetes runs in my family, and they say that that increases your chances of having gestational diabetes. If I don't pass this glucose test, then I have to take the three-hour glucose test (where you drink the sugar-water and they draw your blood once an hour for three hours), which I really don't want to have to do, as I hate needles. If I don't pass that test, my glucose will have to be monitored, and they will put me on a special "diet" (I put it in quotes, because it's not a diet to loose weight, it's a diet to keep your blood sugar levels low.) I would be concerned about going on the "diet" because my friend told me that she stopped gaining weight once they had put her on this "diet," and with them already being concerned about me not gaining enough weight, I don't want to have that on top of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment