Wednesday, March 31, 2010

"Childbirth Preparation Class" No. 1

Katy Miller (the same Katy that co-taught the "Coping with Labor" class) is teaching our three-session "Childbirth Preparation" class. We scheduled the class for Wednesday nights, because Adam wouldn't have to get up to go to work (since he was only working Tuesdays and Fridays). But one of the other guys at work got injured and now he has to work Tuesday through Friday for the next couple of weeks. Needless to say, after getting up at 3am to go to work, coming home to shower and leave for school, then coming home to grab dinner and head to a childbirth class, he was very tired.

Since this was the first of three classes, we went around the room and everyone introduced themselves. We were first, then the following two couples also had a pregnant woman named Sarah as part of their duo. There was actually another Adam as well later in the introductions.

This week we learned about signs of labor and the stages of labor. We also watched another video of a woman giving birth. I don't know why, but this time, it started to make me a little nervous about the whole childbirth experience. I still believe I can do it, but I'm a little more nervous about it. I still really hope that I can avoid a c-section, if at all possible. We talked a little bit about relaxation techniques, but most of that was covered in the other class. Katy did mention that they have laboring tubs, and asked how many people enjoyed relaxing in a warm bath. I raised my hand, then she said, "Good, all of you will find that really helpful and will naturally relax in the laboring tub." We also were able to find the birthing ball (just like an exercise ball) that was my size, so that we can ask the nurses for that size when we go in.

The last thing we did before we left was a relaxation technique. Katy played some soft music in the background and turned off the lights. Then she told us to start at the top of our heads and relax, by the time she got to eyelids, I was already at my shoulders relaxing. I think I might have to remember this for when I'm in labor.

2 comments:

  1. Using the tub for labor is key! I spent all 4 hours of my labor in the tub (and Maria was born in the tub). There's no way I would have been able to do it naturally without that tub! Having relaxing music and taking deep slow breaths helped a lot too. Best of luck, can't wait to see pics of the little one when she arrives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to do a water birth originally, but with her heart, I have to deliver at Abbott, and they don't do water births... :( (even if they did, I don't think they'd let me anyway with this one...)

    ReplyDelete