Monday, April 19, 2010

Mom's Group

I met with a group of mom's who all have children with disabilities on the other side of the city tonight. They meet for coffee about once a month (of course next month I won't be able to go!). I heard a little from each mom about their child and what they have been struggling with, but also, what they have found to be a blessing.

Jane is the lady that is in charge of the group, and has a yahoo group set up for everyone. I haven't gotten on there yet (I have to email her to get an email invite to the group). But they asked me to post a link to my blog.

I finally met Mary from Prenatal Partners for Life, and she was very sweet. I also finally met Ashlee, who has a son, Levi, who has another rare diagnosis (of course I can't remember the name).

Most of the mom's had kids with some sort of chromosomal abnormality. I guess I didn't really realize that so many of the disabilities out there are related to the chromosomes not getting together correctly. As far as I know heterotaxy isn't related to chromosomal abnormalities, but I could be wrong (I seem to learn something new about it all the time!).

While people were going around talking about their child, most of them had some sort of cognitive disability, so I was feeling lucky that my baby will only have to have heart surgery (as far as we know at this point anyway... she might have stomach issues also). But then one of the last ladies that shared, told us about her son who had a heart defect. While he was having heart surgery, he lost oxygen to his brain and ended up with some brain damage. That hit home, because that could happen to our baby girl. We just need to keep praying for her!

No comments:

Post a Comment