Thursday, April 29, 2010

Scheduled Baby's Birthday

I met mom at work early in the day to drive to our appointment with Dr. Gremmels. We didn't have to wait too long until Jeanine called us back to start the ultrasound. She first did the biophysical profile, and baby scored eight out of eight again, though the amniotic fluid was a little lower, but I don't think she could find a fourth pocket.

Dr. Gremmels came in and said we were doing quite a good job, and he was happy to see me past the 36 week mark. I told him we had decided to schedule a c-section, and would like to do that today. He was happy, and said that whichever cardiologist was on-call when we delivered would pass on everything to him to review and set up a plan for her surgery. I asked him about breast feeding her right away, and he said that usually about ten days after surgery mothers could start breast feeding. He said that sometimes with getting use to the new environment and having to breath on her own is enough work for her heart, and adding feeding in that is sometimes too much.

Jeanine then sent us across the hall to the nurse (who's name I've forgotten, but I think we've had her before). She took my weight and found that I haven't gained anything for the past two weeks. Though she didn't say anything, it somewhat concerns me since baby should be gaining about half a pound a week at this point. Then asked me the usual questions, and asked if we wanted to schedule the c-section. I told her that we were hoping to schedule it for May 17. She said she would check the openings for that day while we talked to Dr. Calvin.

When Dr. Calvin came in, I think he thought he would still have to convince us to schedule a c-section. But I told him right away that the nurse was checking the openings on May 17. He seemed relived and didn't have much to say after that.

Soon the nurse came back and said the only opening for May 17 was at 1:30 in the afternoon. I wasn't too happy with this, as I'm not supposed to have anything to eat or drink (not even water!) for eight hours before hand. But not to worry, she tells me, they'll put an IV in right away when I get there at 11:30am to keep me hydrated. (Oh great, so no food... which is when I get stomach aches and feel like I have to throw up -and not even water helps that feeling anyway-... AND I get to sit around for two hours before with a needle stuck in my arm the whole time... gee that will be such a relief!) Then she went through what will happen, step by step. When she told me that Adam would not be coming into the OR until after I was all numbed up and they were just about to cut me open, I stopped her. I said, "Oh no, Adam will be in there when they are sticking a giant needle into my spine, I don't care that they numbed the area." (I'm thinking there will be lots of small fights we will be putting up while I am going through this procedure.)

When I got home, I told Adam that I didn't want him leaving my side once they put the IV in my arm. Of course, once they pull baby out and bring her into the other room, he will go with her. But other than that, there is no reason for him to not be in the room with me.


  1. Hey Sarah!! I just wanted to drop you a quick note on a couple of things. I was a Child Life intern at Children's Minneapolis and in my opinion you couldn't ask for your baby to be in better hands!! Also just so you know, with an IV, a needle DOES NOT stay in your arm. The needle fits through the tiny little straw at the end of the IV just to insert it into your vein. Then once the straw is in, the needle comes out so that all that is left in your hand is the little straw :) I thought I would try to ease at least one conern.

  2. How funny, I was just going to say the same thing about the IV needle! No needle in your arm, just a tiny plastic tube :) I'll be praying for you guys, that the C-section goes well. Can't wait to see pics of the little one!